City of Stonnington is committed to achieving these Place Pillars and will do so by implementing the following key actions:
- Working with the local community, precinct associations and event organisers reflective of Prahran’s local character and diverse culture;
- Developing and overseeing an annual program of activities, installations and events to provide engaging community and visitor experiences on a local, national and international level;
- Promoting the use of Prahran Square, developing a balance between active programming and passive recreation; and
- Developing working partnerships with major public festivals, events and programs to support the visitor economy.
Activation refers to how the site is programmed deliberately and informally, in order to create a sense of place, and to encourage social connections and engagement. Applications for events and programmed activity will be assessed based on a priority of activity, requirements and selection criteria.
Priority of Activity
- A Priority of Activity ensures the frequency and type of activation expected at Prahran Square aligns with the Civic and Cultural Charter, and Prahran Square vision. The type of activation identified as key areas of focus for Prahran Square are listed in order of priority below.
- Daily and weekly activities that are focused on local community engagement and participation;
- Activation and experiences that provide a platform for community led place programming, and Council supported local activities;
- Signature Council-run events and other major events and festivals that benefit the municipality and promote the activities of the local businesses and economy in and around Prahran Square.
Commercial, promotional and sampling activities
Private events and high impact events which require significant occupation of Prahran Square.
Private events are defined as any event or activity that is by invitation only and cannot be accessed by the general public, and requires a purchased ticket and/ or requires exclusive use of Prahran Square facilities and event spaces.
All private events will be assessed on size and scale, and ability to ensure Prahran Square can remain accessible to the general public in a reasonable manner. All event spaces and facilities cannot be hired for private events at any one time. Public access must remain available to at least some of Prahran Square at all times.
The following thresholds will act as a guide for the type and frequency of activity expected at Prahran Square:
1. No limit on daily and weekly activities pending availability and assessment against the Civic and Cultural Charter;
2. No limit on community led place programming pending availability and assessment against the Civic and Cultural Charter;
3. Up to ten (10) signature Council events, major public events or festivals per year based on suitability to align to the Civic and Cultural Charter, and positively contribute to the precinct’s visitor economy;
4. Priority of arts, cultural and community experiences over commercial activity with a preference for commercial experiences that support educational, cultural or civic activities; and
5. Limiting private events to ensure community benefit where necessary.