Prahran Square - Your Square
Prahran Square is a 10,000 square metre urban parkland above a 500 bay underground car park.
It is the City of Stonnington's transformation of the old Cato Street car park into a dynamic and inviting public space.
Prahran Square celebrates community, arts and culture, playing host to an array of events, live performances and showcasing works by local artists.
The development of Prahran Square has transformed an old car park into a green and sustainable space.
The urban parkland features:
- 1,000 square metres of lawn
- 140 trees and 7,200 shrubs and plants
- rainwater capture system that reuses the water to irrigate the lawn and garden beds
- solar-powered waste and recycling bins. The solar-energy is used by the bins to compact their own rubbish (increasing their capacity by around 8 times that of a traditional bin)
- banks of bike racks at various points around the Square to promote sustainable transport
- sustainable design and building principles used across the site
- electric vehicle charge station within the car park
- low-energy LEDs used throughout the car park
- movement sensor light dimming technology in both levels of the car park, reducing power use when there is no activity.
Are there public toilets?
Public and accessible toilets are located on the Terrace. Access via stairs or lift.
A Changing Places facility is located on the Chatham Street end of Prahran Square.
Where do I dispose of rubbish?
Rubbish bins for waste and recycling are located at each corner of Prahran Square and on the Lawn, the Terrace, The Forrest and Sensory Garden.
Where do I access drinking water?
Drinking water stations are located in Sensory Garden, Market Corner and on either side of the Lawn near Centre Square. These water stations are dog friendly.
Is Prahran Square dog-friendly?
Dogs are welcome! The drinking stations are dog-friendly and dog waste disposal bags and bins are provided on either side of the Lawn near Centre Square.
Can I picnic in the Square?
Yes! There are cafe-style tables and chairs in Sensory Garden. For those who need shade, there are permanent umbrellas on the Terrace and in the Sensory Garden.