Prahran Square - Your Square
Prahran Square is a 10,000 square metre urban parkland above a 500 bay underground car park.
It is the City of Stonnington's transformation of the old Cato Street car park into a dynamic and inviting public space.
Prahran Square celebrates community, arts and culture, playing host to an array of events, live performances and showcasing works by local artists.
The development of Prahran Square has transformed an old car park into a green and sustainable space.
The urban parkland features:
- 1,000 square metres of lawn
- 140 trees and 7200 shrubs and plants
- rainwater capture system that reuses the water to irrigate the lawn and garden beds
- solar-powered waste and recycling bins. The solar-energy is used by the bins to compact their own rubbish (increasing their capacity by around 8 times that of a traditional bin)
- banks of bike racks at various points around the Square to promote sustainable transport
- sustainable design and building principles used across the site
- electric vehicle charge station within the car park
- low-energy LEDs used throughout the car park
- movement sensor light dimming technology in both levels of the car park, reducing power use when there is no activity.
Access was at the forefront of the design of Prahran Square, creating a welcoming space for people of all abilities.
All areas of the Prahran Square car park and urban parkland are accessible, with:
- 11 disability carpark access bays, located on level 1
- travelator and elevator carpark access to both levels from Wattle and Cato streets
- a ramp on the Terrace to the lower seating
- elevator access to the top of the Terrace
- ramp access to the Lawn
- accessible compliant stairs and path in the Forrest.
- accessible toilets on the Terrace
- a Changing Places facility with an adult sized change table, ceiling hoist, a peninsular toilet, privacy screen and additional circulation space. Access with a Master Locksmiths Access Key (MLAK).
Find all accessible features on the map of Prahran Square.
Prahran Square is dog-friendly. Rehydration stations and biodegradable waste bags are located throughout the Square.
Free waste bags are also available from the Hub if you’re running low when nature calls.
Please keep your dog on a lead and maintain full control at all times.
For information on dog owner's responsibilities, visit the City of Stonnington website.